Monday 3 September 2018

Exercises in invisible mending

Recently came upon a vintage sampler of invisible mending with woven patterns and didn't know how soon I'd have an opportunity for practice :D It was the very first try ever, but for that it came out nice enough.


Short tear in cotton fabric, medium weave shirt.


Make a very small knot at the end of the thread, just enough to keep it secure - if any at all. As there is no strain on the thread, you can just as well leave a tiny end on the left side of the fabric.


And then start re-weaving the pattern minutely. I left the warp of the original fabric and just replaced the torn weft with matching thread. Unfortunately the added blue thread shows rather blatantly, at least to me as a perfectionist. For absolutely invisible mending I guess I'd have to cut all fuzzy threads and replace warp AND weft with threads taken from the fabric to avoid the slight fuzziness my mending produced.

Iron and, if you like some extra security, back with some light fusing tape to seal raw edges at the back.

1 comment:

  1. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    Wedding dresses alterations Sydney

    ReplyDelete