Thursday 15 January 2015

Silver-green elven robe

I decided that I need a decent elvish outfit. Well, actually it was decided for me, and my "partner in crime" and I left the fabric store shouldering a huge roll of pale green, silvery velvet, 18 metres of it, to be made into two elven robes and a dress. I decided to go for a waterlily-design on my robe, as the colour reminded me of a pond and corresponds perfectly with silver and pale greens.

The pattern of the gown itself is, once again, based on my all-time-favourite princess dress pattern that I slit at the front, added about an ell of train and almost floor-lenght sleeves. All parts are lined with very light green fabric. The robe got a hood because someone was of the opinion that a decent elven robe needs a hood. I haven't needed it yet, but it does look good - and it's one piece more to put embroidery on!

Embroidery was, to be honest, the main reason for this design. I'm working with six-threaded cotton yarn and slender metallic silver trim. All the water lines and waves are done in silver, the water-lilies in white and off-white, their leaves in pale green and light green. I use two colours aside each other and entwine them a bit to get a lively, natural mixture. The silver trim is sewn on in simple running stitch, the yarn runs along only at the surface and is whip-stitched to the fabric. The ends are pulled through and secured with a knot on the left side of the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment