Wednesday 28 July 2010

Chemise à la reine

And yet another new project... Well, actually not really. I started it months ago, then it gathered some dust while I finished a few other things, and now I have finally figured out how to do this thing without it looking too bulky. Problem was, when I started sewing the chemise, I was firmly convinced that I would have to line it. Well, you can imagine that two layers of gathered fabric - and be it just finest batiste - will inevitably cause anyone, no matter how slender, to look like a stuffed white sausage. Finally I figured that I'd be wearing petticoats beneath it anyway, so I could leave away the lining and just work with one layer of wonderfully light, sheer, fine batiste. Slow on the uptake sometimes :D Anyway. This is how it is approximately going to look like once it's finished:



I think the pic is from V&A Museum, but not quite sure, I have such a huge amount of random costume pics on my harddrive... This kind of dress became en vogue in the 1780s.

This time I tried a pattern from Norah Waugh's "The Cut of Women's Clothes". Only thing I altered was not to slit the dress completely at the front. My version is put on over the head, with a frill at the neckline and puffed sleeves. Currently attaching the sleeves and trying to remember where I put the rest of the fabric for the frill...

No comments:

Post a Comment