Thursday 21 January 2010

Hanging pockets for rococo-dress



Voilá, finally finished! And I have already used my pockets and found them very practical. From now on I'll have to remember to make pocket slits into all my new skirts.


I know, I know - at this stage, the pieces still look like pot cloths :D The three pieces to the front are the layers the two sides of the pockets consist of: striped fabric for the outside, light wadding and white fabric for the inside. And no, the wadding is not period. The back row in the picture shows (left to right) the three stages from sewn, half quilted (diamond pattern) to fully quilted, the leftmost piece also shows part of the back.

The pockets were often embroidered with floral patterns. I designed a rather simple one (and afterwards decided to change the center rose for a butterfly, which fits the style better):



The three layers are sewn together around the edges by means of simple zigzag stitch. Won't be seen in the end. I quilted them in a diamond pattern to keep the layers closely together, then used carbon tissue to apply the pattern for the embroidery. Make sure it's centered. For the embroidery, I chose multi-coloured thread in various shades of blue. After the embroidering was done, the back of the pocket was lined with another layer of light cotton to hide the ends of the blue thread.



Both pockets were then finished with matching blue bias tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment